This ad is expired.
Custodian (3 Positions)
Glendale Community College
Salary: $3,374.88 - $3,720.80 Monthly
Job Number: 0845-2023
Location: Glendale, CA
Closing: 10/2/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Under general direction, performs a variety of skilled custodial and facility maintenance tasks by maintaining assigned buildings and grounds in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition; performs minor non-technical repairs and adjustments to equipment and buildings; assists with moving furniture and preparing for events; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Work under the direct supervision of the department supervisor/manager.
Does not directly or indirectly supervise other employees but may provide work direction to temporary employees.
Work Schedule (3 Positions)
40 Hours/Week, 12 Months/Year
Monday - Friday 4:00 pm - 12:30 am
Position is open until filled. First review: October 2, 2023
Applications received after the first review date may or may not be advanced in the process for further consideration.
Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties and responsibilities are typical of those performed in this classification.
- Performs a variety of custodial and facility maintenance tasks by maintaining assigned buildings and grounds in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
- Sweeps, mops, buffs, waxes, and seals floors in assigned areas, including classrooms, laboratories, restrooms, lobbies, stairways, and hallways as assigned; sweeps sidewalks, stairs, and patios.
- Extracts, shampoos, spot cleans, and vacuums carpets and rugs in offices, classrooms, and hallways.
- Empties and cleans waste receptacles and replaces liners; picks-up and disposes of papers and other debris.
- Cleans, scrubs, disinfects, polishes, and washes windows, walls, floors, furnishings, fixtures, equipment, counters, and white boards; polishes metal work and fixtures.
- Dusts windows, blinds, wall hangings, lamps, cabinets, furniture, and computers.
- Cleans restrooms, locker rooms, and shower rooms; cleans and sanitizes toilets, sinks, and sanitary containers as assigned; cleans and sanitizes drinking fountains.
- Replenishes bathroom supplies; fills paper and soap dispensers; replaces large and small waste receptacle liners.
- Secures internal and external entry and exit doors; ensures windows are locked, and lights are turned off; identifies and reports needed repairs and vandalism to supervisor or lead custodian.
- Performs minor non-technical repairs and adjustments to equipment and buildings; uses a plunger to unclog restrooms, adjusts desks and other furniture, and changes vacuum brushes.
- Rearranges, assembles, and moves furniture and equipment such as chairs, tables, barriers, floor mats, and other items as assigned in and between rooms, buildings and/or gymnasiums as needed; assists with set-up for events, including assembly and breakdown of event tents, as needed.
- Drives an electric cart to assist in moving tables and other furniture, and other related items as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The education, training, and experience qualifications are considered likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities to perform the above essential duties.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Six (6) months of custodial or general maintenance experience.
- Materials and equipment used for cleaning.
- Proper use of cleaning disinfectants, supplies, materials, tools, and equipment related to custodial and maintenance work.
- Safe work practices and sanitary regulations in custodial and maintenance work.
- Safe and proper use and storage of hazardous and toxic substances.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Methods of prioritizing, planning, and organizing work.?
- Correct use of the English language, including spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Perform a wide variety of custodial and maintenance tasks.
- Read and follow safety instructions and labels on cleaning supplies and equipment, including appropriate concentrations and dilutions.
- Use custodial cleaning supplies and maintenance equipment including a vacuum cleaner, buffer, small power and hand tools.
- Assemble and move large equipment, furniture, and other items.
- Observe and report needed maintenance and repairs.
- Operate an electric vehicle on the campus as assigned.
- Prioritize work and complete assignments accurately and within established deadlines.
- Provide and obtain detailed information to/from others.
- Perform and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Provide customer service with a high level of sensitivity, tact and patience.
- Exercise reasonable judgment in performing job duties.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with all employees and others encountered in the course of work.
- Demonstrate a sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
The following physical and mental standards are identified as necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. However, reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Mobility: frequent standing for long periods; frequent kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, and walking; frequent reaching above and below desk level.
- Dexterity: frequent fine manipulation sufficient to operate assigned equipment; grasping to handle tools, individual papers, write, and feel individual objects.
- Lifting: frequent lifting of equipment and materials weighing up to 50 pounds; occasional lifting up to 75 pounds with assistance.
- Visual Requirements: frequent use of vision sufficient to read labels and documents; occasional viewing of computer screens and close-up work.
- Hearing/Talking: frequent hearing and speaking in person, on the telephone and on a radio.
- Emotional/Psychological Factors: frequent contact with others.
Work typically occurs in both indoor and outdoor environments with potential exposure to varied weather conditions and fumes from cleaning chemicals, cleaning agents and hazardous chemicals.
Work requires the use of potentially hazardous machinery and equipment.
The Custodian classification salary range is currently R-16.
Starting salary is from $3,374.88 to $3,720.80 per month depending upon education and experience. Internal applicants may be initially placed at a higher starting salary as outlined in the CSEA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
For more information, please refer to the Classified Salary Schedule: https://www.glendale.edu/home/showpublisheddocument/1734/637703415087530000
This position requires the following documents to be attached to your online application in order to be considered:
This position is offered contingent upon funding. The district reserves the right to extend, withdraw, and/or reopen this position at any time.
The District does not sponsor Visas.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
GCCD is committed to employing administrators, faculty, and staff members who are dedicated to student success. GCCD recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students.
GCCD is committed to hiring processes that support equal opportunity, diversity, and provide equitable consideration for all candidates as required in federal and state law. To find out more about GCCD, please visit our website at glendale.edu.
If accommodations are needed for the application process in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, please inform Human Resources.
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Glendale Community College.
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/gccedu/jobs/4209192/custodian-3-positions
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency