This ad is expired.
Business Intelligence and Analytics Architect
Oregon State University
Department: Inst Analytcs & Reportng (JIS)
Appointment Type: Professional Faculty
Job Location: Corvallis
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: $104,100 - $182,112
The Institutional Analytics and Reporting department is seeking a Business Intelligence and Analytics Architect. This is a full-time (1.00FTE), 12-month, professional faculty position.
University Information and Technology (UIT) is Oregon State University's enterprise IT organization, with an operating budget of approximately $36M/yr and with additional project/program funding. UIT is led by the Vice Provost for Information Technology, who is also OSU's Chief Information Officer (CIO)and the university official with responsibility for setting university-wide IT policy and guiding the university's central and distributed IT enterprise.
The Business Intelligence and Analytics Architect (BI/Analytics Architect) plays a critical role at Oregon State University during an exciting time of transformation, growth and innovation on the Data and Information Architecture (DIA) group within University Information Technology. The BI/Analytics Architect is responsible for shaping and leading the evolution of OSU's Business Intelligence and Analytics practice. Their work supports all lines of business and mission areas. The incumbent will nurture the growth and development of the BI/Analytics team in direct support of the strategic data goals of the organization and serve as a leader in the maturation and evolution of the university's BI and Analytics practice and impact. The incumbent will have a deep understanding and applied expertise in Business Intelligence, Analytics and data warehousing architecture and concepts, as well as extensive experience working at large complex institutions. They will have a track record of designing and implementing complex BI, reporting and analytics data solutions and managing teams to deliver high-quality work. Creativity and ingenuity are valued characteristics in this position. The incumbent is both a technical expert and plays a key leadership role as we build a world class business intelligence (BI) and data analytics practice that drives advanced data-informed decision making and enables a vibrant and empowered community of data users at OSU.
Their work includes:
- Provide vision and direction to modernize and evolve the BI and Analytics practice; partner with the rest of the DIA team and Enterprise Architecture group to evolve and mature OSU's data technology and architecture to meet current and future needs.
- Formulate strategies to grow and leverage the OSU data platform to solve complex business issues with sustainable, scalable and thoughtful BI and Analytics products and services.
- Partner with the Office of Information Security and the Data Trustees to ensure the highest levels of security while also providing readily available data in the format that meets the stakeholder needs.
- Lead the transformation of BI and Analytics services relative to the Administrative Modernization Program
- Evaluating, experimenting and implementing modern Artificial Intelligence (AI) based data technologies in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure and lead the creation and adoption of high-quality documentation, data management practices, design and quality standards, and operational excellence for the BI and Analytics team.
- Oversee, monitor, manage and improve the quality and delivery of the BI and Analytics products and services.
This position is an integral part of a high-performing and innovative team responsible for the broad university data services, products, and platform. The Business Intelligence Architect reports to the Chief Data Officer who leads the Data and Information Architecture (DIA) group for the university. This central unit is responsible for delivering an enterprise-wide analytics and reporting ecosystem with data that is architected, governed, managed, accessible, and secure. We are advancing what is possible for data at OSU with our data platform and by leveraging a unique and agile data solutions business analysis, storyboarding and prototyping process which enables us to build sustainable and high value solutions that advance decisions making and OSU's mission. The group functions include: data engineering and integration, Enterprise Data Warehousing, data modeling, BI and analytics reporting, legacy system support, as well as data community support and training and engagement. The incumbent must work closely across the DIA group as well as across the University Information and Technology organization to build and maintain a modern, scalable and resilient data ecosystem.
As a member of the UIT team, the incumbent will also have the following expectations: Data Statement: UIT has a commitment to deliver data as a strategic working asset and to enable data informed decision making across OSU. UIT leaders and staff will lead by example and use data to inform decision making at all levels in the organization. Persons in technology roles are also expected to design systems with data portability in mind and work within enterprise architecture and privacy guidelines.
DEI Statement : UIT has a deep commitment to and belief in the strength and value of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) both throughout our team and as an intentional and active practice to advance the vision, mission, and strategic efforts of the entire university. As a member of the UIT community, the person in this position is expected to foster and promote the values of DEI and demonstrate a commitment to inclusive excellence in their work.
Security Statement: Proactively securing and protecting OSU's digital assets and information systems is crucial to our missions of teaching and learning, research, and outreach and engagement. All OSU IT professionals have a direct responsibility to provide high quality and secure IT systems and services. Persons in technology roles are expected to be responsive to security related actions and requirements, and to collaborate to find secure ways to support the OSU community.
For reference: OSU Strategic Plan 4.0: https://leadership.oregonstate.edu/strategic-plan Diversity Strategic Plan: https://diversity.oregonstate.edu/diversity-strategic-plan OSU IT Strategic Plan: https://uit.oregonstate.edu/it-strategic-plan
Working for Oregon State University is so much more than a job!
Oregon State University is a dynamic community of dreamers, doers, problem-solvers and change-makers. We dont wait for challenges to present themselves - we seek them out and take them on. We welcome students, faculty and staff from every background and perspective into a community where everyone feels seen and heard. We have deep-rooted mindfulness for the natural world and all who depend on it, and together, we apply knowledge, tools and skills to build a better future for all.
Top 1.4% university in the world
More research funding than all public universities in Oregon combined
1 of 3 land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the U.S.
2 campuses, 11 colleges, 12 experiment stations, and Extension programs in all 36 counties
7 cultural resource centers that offer education, celebration and belonging for everyone
100+ undergraduate degree programs, 80+ graduate degrees plus hundreds of minor options and certificates
35k+ students including more than 2.3k international students and 10k students of color
217k+ alumni worldwide
For more interesting facts about OSU visit: https://oregonstate.edu/about
Oregon State has a statewide presence with campuses in Corvallis and Bend, the OSU Portland Center and the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the Pacific Coast in Newport.
Oregon States beautiful, historic and state-of-the-art main campus is located in one of Americas best college towns. Corvallis is located close to the Pacific Ocean, the Cascade mountains and Oregon wine country. Nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley, this beautiful city offers miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, a river perfect for boating or kayaking and an eclectic downtown featuring local cuisine, popular events and performances.
Total Rewards Package:
Oregon State University offers a comprehensive benefits package with benefits eligible positions that is designed to meet the needs of employees and their families including:
Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life. OSU pays 95% of premiums for you and your eligible dependents.
Free confidential mental health and emotional support services, and counseling resources.
Retirement savings paid by the university.
A generous paid leave package, including holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Tuition reduction benefits for you or your qualifying dependents at OSU or the additional six Oregon Public Universities.
Robust Work Life programs including Dual Career assistance resources, flexible work arrangements, a Family Resource Center, Affinity Groups and an Employee Assistance Program.
Future and current OSU employees can use the Benefits Calculator to learn more about the full value of the benefits provided at OSU.
35% Enterprise BI, Analytics and Data Management strategy and architecture
- Serve as a thought leader and work closely with the data engineering team and Enterprise Architecture to define and architect the central data platform (the Data and Integration Hub) based on current and future BI/Analytics and data customer needs; this includes design and test tables, queries, data integrations, pipelines, and ETLs needed to meet business requirements as well as adhering and contributing to the larger data architecture and strategy
- Oversee implementation of vision, strategy, and principles for a university wide robust data management practice in partnership with the Office of Information Security
- Serve as a subject matter expert and advise on BI and Analytics best and emerging practices
- In support of the maturation and evolution of OSUs BI and Analytics practice, monitor and evaluate for continuous improvement of BI and Analytics products services; partner to establish and measure KPIs and evaluations of services and initiatives
35% Lead BI and Analytics functions and services
- Provide technical and operational leadership to BI and Analytics group with particular emphasis and attention on balancing the future direction and needs, reusability of data, and the thoughtful use of the central data platform
- Lead the maturation of an agile development practice to support delivery of effective and sustainable solutions
- Work closely with the Data Product Manager and DIA leadership to prioritize and appropriately assign resources to projects and BI/Analytics priorities.
- Consult with leaders and business partners to translate business objectives into data solutions that supports the business needs;
- Oversee and manage staff operations, priorities, and coordinate the efficient and high-quality product delivery for prioritized projects and BI/Analytics efforts
- Identify, research, and lead the resolution of complex technical and data problems
- Ensure BI and Analytics team adheres to data standards, data governance policies and practices, and add/make recommendations regarding these standards as the need arises;
20% Leadership and Collaboration
- Leverage a strengths-based approach to grow and organize the team to work efficiently; mentor and support staff development and success
- Establish, grow, and nurture relationships with IT partners, Data Stewards, and Business units to achieve strategic and operational goals
- Develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest, and accepting manner.
- Address and manage conflict and offer constructive feedback in a positive manner.
- Work with DIA leadership to develop, iterate, and improve project and work management processes and team culture
10% Professional Development and Service
- Proactively seek and cultivate knowledge and skills related to work in order to stay up-to-date on emerging trends in BI, Data Warehousing, data analytics, data visualization, data architecture, and data solutions
- Collaborate with IT and non-IT units around the University with relevant experience and job skills
- Mentor and contribute to professional development of staff and the Analyst Community of Practice; participate in education/engagement activities supported by the unit.
- Participate in appropriate activities that enhance continuous development of general knowledge of or ability to do assigned work.
- Participate in departmental processes and initiatives, including Change Management, Incident Management, etc.
What You Will Need
- Bachelors degree in an area of study that includes working with data, systems, or complex organizations, such as Computer Science/Engineering, Business Analytics, Statistics, Administration, or related fields.
- 8+ years professional experience delivering BI, data management technologies and best practice and Analytics solutions
- 3+ Experience leading BI and Analytics teams and/or complex Analytics projects
- Proven track record of building and supporting cohesive and high-performing teams, regardless of geographical locations including demonstrated ability to mentor and support growth and education for BI/analytics professionals
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively and professionally across skill, experience, and position level and maintain positive relationships across the organization
- Expert ability to translate business needs into elegant and sustainable technical solutions
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing priorities and efforts for an operational unit
- Experience with formal data governance and data management practices
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion practices
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard: 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in youth programs may have additional criminal history checks every 24 months.
What We Would Like You to Have
- Advanced degree from an accredited college or university in related areas such as Computer Science, Business Analytics, Statistics, etc.
- Advanced experience with logical data modeling and data architecture design
- Experience with approaches such as agile methodology, Business Analysis, data storytelling and rapid prototyping
- Experimentation/Awareness of modern AI technologies in the data arena. e.g. Search based analytics, Augmented analytics, integration of ChatGPT like technologies, Machine learning technologies etc.
- Experience implementing an enterprise-wide data catalog
- Experience working in Higher Education
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
Hybrid and remote work options available as agreed upon with supervisor. If Hybrid or remote option is selected, employee will have access to hoteling space for on premise work and be provided with standard office equipment and technology required to be successful in the position regardless of work location. If Hybrid or remote, cost to travel for work events at Oregon State University Corvallis Campus will not be covered by the employer. Professional development or work requiring other travel will be paid for in accordance with the standard university policies and rules.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 10/01/2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.When applying you will be required to attach:
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact: Alisha Brucker at email@example.com
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in youth programs may have additional criminal history checks every 24 months. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the criminal history check requirement.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/143529
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency