Manager, Business Analyst
Location: Strategic Initiatives
Job ID: 607577
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position is a hybrid position which allows the incumbent to complete their work at both an NAU site, campus, or facility and at a non-centralized site with or without accommodation. The successful candidate will be required to attend work at the Flagstaff Mountain campus on designated non-remote days. Additionally, the successful candidate must have residency and live in Arizona.
- This position is posted as Manager, Business Analyst, which is a working title. The NAU system title for this position is Manager, Business Intelligence and Operations.
The Manager, Business Analyst position is within the Student Affairs Strategic Initiatives and Operations team. This position will work closely with the Student Affairs Student Health and Wellness team to align with business goals and objectives. Lead the elicitation of business needs from subject matter experts, translates needs into functional requirements, and documents requirements in specifications, business process flows, analysis tools, etc. Evaluates past and current department-level business processes and data to lead the improvement of decision-making within the department. Collaborates with health and wellness leadership to identify goals, best practices, and other methods for gathering and analyzing processes, business applications, and data. Contributes to aspects of complex projects. Manage the business analyst team within the Student Affairs division and help to prioritize project direction for the division. Collaborates as a member of an institutional center of excellence with enterprise business analysts and other divisional business analysts at the institution. Helps to identify the Student Health and Wellness team business intelligence, reporting, and data analysis needs.
Campus Health Services Business Analysis and Process Improvement - 65%
- Leads analysis and design sessions to document Campus Health Services business processes, and/or create new business processes in support of strategic projects and objectives.
- Leads workshops, elicits requirements, documents, and manages business deliverables, capabilities, and functional requirements on prioritized Campus Health Services initiatives. Works with department representatives to design, develop, and improve processes and applications through process improvement methodologies. Ensures application(s) capabilities and design meet intended business needs.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage technology and automation to drive efficiency, effectiveness, data quality, and productivity. Works with Campus Health Services stakeholders to understand their needs and collaborate with them to develop solutions, innovate, and improve. Helps identify, promote, and drive activities that will reduce technical debt.
- Identifies business risk factors associated with assigned initiatives, working with senior leadership and Campus Health Services stakeholders on overall risk acceptance. Reviews the need for security, continuity of operating plans, and other risk mitigations to ensure consistency, efficiency, accuracy, and effectiveness of the institutions.
- Defines training requirements to deliver training support to end users within Student Health and Wellness and evaluates feedback from users.
- Leads the development and training of reports with Student Health and Wellness members, stakeholders, and others.
- Understands and applies knowledge of appropriate handling of university business intelligence data.
Supervision, Leadership, and Collaboration - 15%
- Supervises, oversees, leads, manages, and motivates full-time Business Analyst team members.
- Delegates analyst work to team members as appropriate and reviews deliverables to ensure best practices are followed.
- Conducts regular performance reviews and clearly communicates goals and expectations.
- Collaborates with the Director of the Strategic Initiatives department on building out the Student Affairs Portfolio, including the development of business cases for presentation to Student Affairs Leadership for prioritization and assessment.
- Participates on related campus committees and support groups.
- Establishes business analyst best practices within Student Affairs team (preferably following BABOK and other relevant industry standards); Develops core templates for use by Student Affairs.
Operational Coordination - 10%
- Secondary support of all Human Resources functions for Campus Health Services. This includes working with area managers to generate staff justifications, initiate ePOSTs, create advertising requests, and ePARs. Maintains personnel files for all CHS staff. Responsible for general onboarding duties. Serves on hiring committees as needed.
- Participate in and lead various committees as deemed appropriate.
- Administration of travel and development including various forms and needs for completion for all Campus Health Services.
- May be responsible for managing a specialized program or initiative such as marketing, publications, program development or specific projects.
- May participate on the leadership team to promote quality and efficient services.
Project Management - 5%
- Supports and implements "people-focused" change management best practices following the ProSci methodology adopted by the university.
Other - 5 %
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or related field such as Management or Information Systems.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience demonstrating experience in overseeing analytical projects, management a team providing analyst work, and implementing data-driven strategies to improve business processes.
- At least one year of experience in managing or supervising a team providing services to improve process involving responsibilities such as performance evaluation, project delegation, and coordinating efforts to achieve departmental and organization goals.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Master's degree or PhD in business administration or related field such as Management or Information Systems.
- Professional certification in business analysis or project management.
- Business systems support experience in higher education and campus health services.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, ServiceNow, OnBase, Point and Click, and other cloud solutions.
- Ability to read and write SQL.
- Working knowledge of health care structures.
- Knowledge and/or experience with requirements management tools and software for documenting business process, requirements, and testing.
- Experience taking a business process and automating it with the implementation of a software solution.
- Experience with data warehouse, Business Objects, Tableau or other reporting systems.
- Understanding of interactions between university business units.
- Experience managing projects.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of Student Affairs business goals and strategies to achieve and maintain growth.
- Advanced knowledge of NAU Campus Health Services processes, goals, and priorities.
- Advanced knowledge of software design methodologies and database principles.
- Advanced knowledge of integrated student information systems.
- Advanced knowledge within a core business line process, policies, procedures.
- Advanced understanding of Qualtrics Software to create, implement, and analyze data.
- Advanced knowledge of PeopleSoft ERP, ServiceNow, Enterprise Reporting, and Electronic Health Record systems.
- Demonstrates an advanced understanding of SQL or other query language.
- Advanced knowledge of translating non-technical requirements into technical business requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of business, data and technology to recommend systems and process improvements.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Advanced elicitation and facilitation skills.
- Professional email and telephone etiquette.
- Interpersonal and networking skills.
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Experience with data visualization and summarization tools (SQL, MS SQLServer, Tableau).
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Skill in developing stories with complex data.
- Skill in data management techniques.
- Approaches change and new situations as positive opportunities for learning or growth.
- Analyzes, complex situations, anticipate issues, and documents basic business processes, makes recommendations for streamlining/improving processes.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Demonstrates problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Analyzes daily, routine business situations and anticipates issues.
- Communicates effectively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $83,312. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of the pay period following election. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following election.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
December 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607577&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency